The Legend of Maula Jatt is a Pakistani, Punjabi action movie written by Nasir Adeeb and directed by Bilal Lashari. Its duration is 2 hours and 30 minutes and is presented with both English Subtitles and Urdu Subtitles. It is a stylized update to the 1979 action film in which a local hero takes on a brutal gang leader. The Legend of Maula Jatt premiered at Cue Cinemas in Lahore on October 12, 2022, and was theatrically released by Mandviwalla Entertainment in Pakistan on October 13, 2022
- Fawad Khan as Maula Jatt
- Rehan Fareed Hiraj as Young Maula
- Hamza Ali Abbasi as Noori Natt
- Mahira Khan as Mukhoo Jattni
- Humaima Malik as Daaro Nattni
- Gohar Rasheed as Maakha Natt
- Faris Shafi as Mooda
- Shafqat Cheema as Jeeva Natt
- Saima Baloch as Rajjo
- Nayyer Ejaz as Jagoo Natt
- Ali Azmat as Gogi
- Babar Ali as Sardar Jatt (Maula’s father)
- Resham as Malika Jatt (Maula’s mother)
- Zia Khan as Ali (loyalist of Sardar Jatt)
- Kamran Lashari as Narrator
- Raheela Agha as Daani (Mooda’s mother and Maula Jatt’s foster mother)
It is the story of the archrivals Jatt family and the Natt family. Maula, the son of Sardar Jatt and the sole survivor of the attack by Jeeva Natt, is raised by a woman named Daani. Maula grows up to be a wrestler and becomes famous, but at night he struggles with violent dreams of his past.
There is a rivalry among the Natt family for the succession to the throne. Daaro Natt, the daughter of Jeeva Natt, declares that only Noori Natt, the elder son of Jeeva Natt who is in prison because of his killing obsession, will become the ruler of the clan.
Maula loses the fight for the first time in his life but is saved by Mooda, the son of Daani. The next day, Maula arrives at the ruins of Sardar Jatt’s haveli where, the old man, who was waiting for him to arrive, reveals to him that he is the son of Sardar Jatt. The Natt clan tries to avenge the humiliation that Maula Jatt has caused them while Maula Jatt tries to ensure that his decision is enforced and justice is done.
Maakha Natt cannot bear the humiliation caused by Maula and commits suicide. Daaro falls in love with Maula and gives him the option to either marry her or be ready to die. Maula refuses but she is killed by her own guards.
When Noori finds out about the death of his sister, he burns down Maula’s village and captures everyone. Maula arrives at the village and fights Noori. In the end, Noori is killed and Maula is declared the hero of the village.
Some Interesting Observations
- Despite being a heavy-budget film, the film has no songs. According to the director, it would have distorted the rhythm of the story.
- Noori Natt saves Daaro when she was going to be killed by her father because she was a girl. However, when Noori Natt kills the mother of Maula, he does not show any mercy at that time.
- Although the film has English subtitles, the quality of the translation is very basic. In many instances during the film, Mooda says, “aik sher yaad aya”, which was translated to “reminds me a joke”. The correct translation of sher is ‘verse’. In one dialogue, the subtitle was, “I have bear the vengeance” instead of “I have borne the vengeance”. When Rajjo, in the initial scene, says something like this, “mein tumhey tarpa rahi hun”, the subtitles mentioned that “its fruits will you see after marriage”, whereas there was no such dialogue in original Punjabi version.
- Resham is one of the greatest Pakistani actors, but she appears only in the initial scene as the mother of Maula.
- When Noori Natt was killed, his last words were “wah sawad aa gaya”
- The last dialogue of the film is, “Maulay nu Maula na maarey te Maula ni mardaa.” (Maula can’t perish unless Maula kills Maula)
The link for buying tickets for this movie from Atrium Cinema, Karachi (with English Subtitles) is given below: