The Government of Pakistan has established NCOC (National Command and Operation Centre) to synergize and articulate unified national effort against COVID-19, and to implement the decisions of National Coordination Committee on COVID-19. The center is one window operation to collate, analyze, and process information based on digital input and human intelligence across Pakistan through all provinces, AJ&K, GB & ICT Dedicated Representatives and Centers.
NCOC published guidelines for ‘Mass Gatherings During COVID-19’ on October 13, 2020. These guidelines can be accessed at the following link:
According to the guidelines:
Objective: To provide guidelines to the local authorities, organizers and participants of mass gatherings on planning and preparing for such events while ensuring minimum risk of COVID-19 transmission, that is known to be associated with mass gatherings.
The key points of the guidelines are as follows:
- In in-door gathering, it is suggested to have maximum participation of not more than 500 persons where food is not served on the occasion, or 50% of seating capacity of the venue.
- Strict compliance with face masks and hand sanitization is required, and it is suggested that the organizers provide face masks and hand sanitizers to all entrants of the event.
- For out-door gatherings, well defined locations must be chosen, the seating arrangement must be at least 3 feet apart with no one allowed to stand in-between the rows during the gathering.
- Rallies and gathering on ill-defined venues such as streets and roads should be avoided.
- The overall duration of events should be not more than 3 hours.
- No handshaking and hugging is permitted.
Role of Organizers
- Ensure the availability of thermal screening at entrance and allow individuals to enter in event only after checking their temperature.
- Advise people to observe physical distancing, respiratory/cough etiquette, and hand hygiene practices.
- Do not allow the individuals with cough and flu to enter the premises.
Role of Attendees/ Visitors
- Ensure wearing a face mask before leaving house or at the venue.
- Maintain the safe distance of 2 meters (6 feet) from each other indoors/ outdoors.
- Use hand sanitizers frequently in the event/gathering.
- Greet people at the entry with friendly words and smiles, rather than handshakes or other forms of physical contact.