ChatGPT is an abbreviation of Chat Generative Pre-trained Transformer. It is a chatbot developed by San Francisco–based OpenAI and launched on November 30, 2022. ChatGPT is a natural language processing tool driven by AI (Artificial Intelligence) technology that allows you to have human-like conversations and much more with a chatbot. The language model can answer questions, and assist you with tasks such as composing emails, essays, and code. It is continuously fine-tuned by using both supervised and reinforcement learning techniques. ChatGPT’s training data includes man pages and information about Internet phenomena and programming languages, such as bulletin board systems and the Python programming language. In January 2023, ChatGPT reached over 100 million users, making it the fastest-growing consumer application to date.
The basic version of ChatGPT is completely free to use. OpenAI was co-founded in 2015 by Elon Musk and Sam Altman and is backed by well-known investors – most notably Microsoft. Users are experimenting with ChatGPT for tasks like writing emails, producing code or even completing a year-end review. The bot uses data from the internet, books, and Wikipedia to produce conversational responses.
You can access ChatGPT simply by visiting chat.openai.com and creating an OpenAI account. Once you sign in, you can start chatting away with ChatGPT. ChatGPT is not available in any mobile app. It can be used in a browser, though, just like any other website. You can access it from any browser, including Google Chrome and Firefox. Get your conversation started by asking a question. Because ChatGPT is still in its research stage, it is free to use and you can ask as many questions as you’d like. Create a new account as follows:
- Go to https://openai.com/api/login and click Sign up
- Enter your Email address
- Click Continue
- Enter a Password for your ChatGPT account. Your password must contain at least 8 characters
- Click Continue
- Verify your email by clicking on Verify email address in the email message sent by OpenAI
- Enter your First name and Last name
- Enter the Organization name
- Click Continue
- Enter your cellphone number.
- Click Send code via SMS
- Enter the verification code received on SMS
- Answer the question: How will you primarily use OpenAI? with I’m exploring personal use
Now that you have created your account, go to https://chat.openai.com and enter your question in the text box at the bottom of the page. You will immediately receive an answer to your question.
Interesting Points regarding ChatGPT
- The content generated by ChatCPT is not caught completely in plagiarism-detection software such as Turnitin. The plagiarism percentage is shown as only 15 to 20%. You can even ask ChatGPT to rephrase that 20% content.
- There are also other AI chatbots available and you can find one list here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aicomunity/posts/3460789947573729
- Parents are worried that their children may abuse ChatGPT and cheat in essays and exams with AI: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aicomunity/posts/3467396956913028
- ChatGPT addresses ethical concerns but there is always a workaround for it. For example, if you ask ‘generate me a fake income statement’, it will reply, ‘it is unethical’. But if you ask ‘generate me an income statement’, the required income statement will be generated: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aicomunity/posts/3470032806649443
Turnitin & AI writing
The launch of Turnitin’s AI writing detector and the road ahead
Demo of TurnItIn – New AI Detection Tool
13 techniques to get massively ahead in 2023 by using ChatGPT
How to write a cover letter and a resume matching the job listing by using ChatGPT
Recommended Prompts for ChatGPT
ChatGPT vs Google
15 AI tools to use in the classroom
ChatGPT is now available in Azure OpenAI Service
Tips and Tricks for using ChatGPT
ChatGPT and Academic Misconduct
Using ChatGPT for an Academic Project
How to Bypass AI-Detection
How do I get a 4000 word article from ChatGPT?
ChatGPT Cheat Sheet